Since the introduction of VAT, you may have heard that sole traders can show the VAT on their software for the business expenses they incur. If you are a UK sole trader, you may be wondering how to submit a pay Vat return without incurring any costs but by using your business software. This blog post will walk you through submitting a pay vat return.
What is VAT?
VAT is a value added tax that is charged on the retail sales of goods and services in the UK.
When you sell goods or provide services, you must pay VAT on the value of what you sell. If you are a sole trader, your responsibility for paying VAT falls on your income tax return. You can submit a pay vat return online using our online service.
There are four steps to submitting a pay vat return online:
- Choose Your Tax Due Date
- Enter Your Details
- Select Your Type Of Return
- Pay Your Tax Amount Online
Who to submit your VAT online return to?
As a sole trader, you will need to submit your VAT online return to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). You can submit your return using the Self-Assessment Online Service (SAOS) or the Tax Refunds Online Service (TROS).
Self-Assessment Online Service (SAOS) – potential to get a lower tax bill
SAOS is the easier way to submit your return, as you don’t need to print and send in any forms. You can also use this service to pay your taxes online. All you need to do is log in using your HMRC account number and password. This will then generate an invoice which you must pay online with the payment card that is provided by HMRC. The VAT amount will be taken out of your bank account just a few days after you make the payment.
You can also download and review all of your tax returns at SAO self assessment. This enables you
Why you should pay vat online
If you are a sole trader, you may be wondering why you should pay vat online. There are a number of reasons, as outlined below.
1. It can save you time –
If you file your return online, you can do so quickly and easily. This means that you won’t have to spend time travelling to your tax office or waiting in line.
2. It can save you money –
By filing your return online, you can avoid paying penalties and taxes that may be associated with late filing. You can also get a refund faster if you have overpaid taxes.
3. It’s secure –
When you file your return online, the information is encrypted for security purposes. This means that it is protected from unauthorised access.
4. It’s convenient –
You can file your return any time of day or night, thanks to the 24/7 availability of the internet.
How to submit your VAT online return
When you are a sole trader, it’s easy to submit your VAT online return. Here’s how:
- Log in to your account with HMRC.
- Click on ‘My Businesses’ in the left-hand menu.
- Select ‘VAT Returns and Payments‘.
- On the next page, click on ‘Online Returns’.
- In the ‘Return type’ field, select ‘VAT Return’.
- In the ‘Country or territory of residence’ field, select the country you live in.
- In the ‘Business name’ field, enter your business name.
- In the ‘Account number’ field, enter your VAT account number.
- In the ‘Tax period’ field, enter the tax period for which you are making a return.
- Click on the ‘Next Step’ button.
- In the ‘Return summary’ field, enter a brief description of your return and any supporting evidence (if required).
- Click on the ‘Submit Return’ button.
- You will be asked to confirm that you